With no more rotation reviews, I thought I’d post periodic news items picked up here and there related to the team. I’ll focus mostly on the pitchers in the system but will note other newsworthy items.
Without further ado:
- Our initial announced Arizona Fall League (AFL) participants, in addition to Bryce Harper, include arms Sammy Solis, Pat Lehman, Rafael Martin. Solis is clearly a valued arm, but the selection of Lehman and Martin is interesting for the future of these guys.
- A number of important minor league arms are in the Instructional League as we speak, a month long “league” that gives minor leagues a bit more time to play after the regular season ends. In addition to high-end 2011 draftees Purke, Meyer, and Turnbull, the likes of AJ Cole, Robbie Ray, Paul Demny, and Jack McGeary are all down in Viera getting a bit more work.
- Matthew Purke reportedly is throwing well in camp, though no mention made of his MPH. News is that he’s heading to the AFL sooner than later, so we’ll be able to get some game-reports from him soon.
- Tim Dierkes from mlb trade rumors posted the Nats Arbitration Eligible review, and we really don’t have that many tough decisions. The team doesn’t have to make these decisions til (I believe) December 1st, so we’ll save a post til we get closer to the date.
- Byron Kerr did a nice profile of Pat Lehman here, a local (GWU) product now playing in the prestigious AFL league (where 60% of players eventually make the majors). Lehman had a great season, ending up as the AA closer, and he may continue his rise in 2012. I project him being the closer in AA to start, with an eye towards a mid-season promotion to AAA.
- Sammy Solis‘ first AFL start was just soso; 3ip, 1r 2hits and 3walks. Clearly he didn’t have his normal control.