Thanks to peric, via Sue Dienem’s NationalsProspects blog, for the AAA roster announcement today.
Here’s the roster of pitchers.
Based on their known roles in the organization and locations last year, here’s my guess for the pitching roles:
Starters: Detwiler, Maya, Mock, Milone, Chico
bullpen: Kimball (closer), Wilkie, Carr, Martin, Stammen, Hyde, Balester
- I think it is pretty clear that Detwiler, Maya, Milone, and Mock are the first four starters. I’m guessing (unlike Syracuse beat writer Tom Leo, who thinks Martin is the 5th starter) that Chico is the 5th starter for the time being, in that he’s lefty, younger and has more potential than the soft-tossing 28yr old Martin.
- The above point could change if the team decides that Chico’s ceiling is as a LOOGY. But, Hyde seems to be that loogy role now in AAA. Especially since 40-man member Severino is not on either the AAA or the AA roster right now. I think he’s not long for the team and we should see a DFA announcement the next time we need a roster spot.
- I’m somewhat surprised to see Milone up here over Tatusko, if only because of age. Both were dominant pitchers last year in AA and both merited promotion. Milone is a 24 yr old lefty who has put up 12-5 seasons in subsequent levels in 09 and 2010. He is perhaps another dark horse for the 2011 rotation.
- Stammen‘s conversion to the bullpen seems complete. I hope he can make it as a middle reliever.
- Balester‘s presence is an unfortunate options game; he really deserves to be up with the big club and I hope he keeps his focus while riding the bus in Syracause.
Who is missing?
- Known releases from 2010′s team include Kown, Bergmann, and Bisenius. Kown and Bisenius were minor league free agents last year, and we cut loose Bergmann (who I believe got picked up by either Baltimore or Boston for spring training 2011).
- Where is Severino, Martis and Villone? Villone may be in Viera to serve as a “player-coach” for a while. Martis’ absence indicates just how far he’s fallen in the pecking order of this team. As mentioned above, Severino’s absense means he may be dumped from the 40-man roster after losing out to Slaten in the loogy-battle in spring training.
- More interestingly: where is Oliver Perez? I would have been certain he would have been in the AAA rotation. I wonder if he’s sticking around Viera to work on some mechanical issues.
- Where is Tanner Roark, Rafael Martin and Adrian Alaniz? Now that we have both the AAA and the AA rosters, we’re also missing guys like Spradlin, Dials, Novoa, Zinicola, CJames, JJones, and Leatherman. Some we know have been released (Spradlin); others were minor league FA signings last year and probably signed elsewhere (CJames, JJones), and some may still appear in the High-A bullpen.
Can’t wait to see Potomac’s roster!