For the fourth year running (here’s 2013’s wrap-up, 2014’s wrap-up, and 2015’s wrap-up), we’re going to keep an eye on “local” draft prospects leading up to the 2016 amateur draft. By “local” I essentially mean anyone who hails from the DC/MD/VA areas plus anyone who is playing their college ball in the DC/MD/VA irrespective of where they hail from.
Here’s a list of DC/MD/VA college players draft-eligible in 2016 of note from our area. We’re now to the point where HS seniors we covered previously in this blog are becoming college Junior draft eligibles; here’s our 2013 draft wrap up mentioning a number of these 2016 draft eligible players.
Major Local College Draft Prospects for 2016
These are the big-time names that we’ve been hearing may be 1st or 2nd rounders this year with Local Ties.
- Connor Jones, UVA RHP via Great Bridge; a 1st round talent in 2013 who desired to go to college and he hasn’t disappointed; took over as the Friday starter by mid 2015, finished with a 7-2 record and a 2.96 ERA in 16 starts. Pitched well in the CWS, getting an unlucky loss against Vanderbilt in the final. Playing in the Cape Cod league this summer, on the 2015 Collegiate National team and on the MLB.com 2016 draft short list already. Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 2nd team All-American.
- Mike Shawaryn: RHP for Maryland; went 13-2 with a 1.71 ERA as Maryland’s friday starter as a sophomore. He was named to Baseball America’s 2nd team All America in 2015. 2015 Collegiate National team. He could be a very high draft prospect as a junior. Didn’t pitch well for Team USA in summer 2015. Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 1st team All-American.
- Matt Thaiss, UVA C who led the team in hitting as a sophomore and is on the 2015 National Collegiate team. Impressed while playing for Team USA in summer of 2015, with a top-2 round projection. Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 3rd team All-American.
- Buddy Reed, OF from Florida via Finksburg, MD (NW of Baltimore). Not previously on the radar list despite hailing from Maryland b/c he attended a prep school in Rhode Island. But he’s playing for Florida and is on the 2015 National Collegiate team. Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 1st team All-American.
- Errol Robinson, SS from Ole Miss via St. Johns Prep in DC: hit .297 and started every game for Ole Miss as a sophomore. Getting a lot of attention in his junior year, with Ole Miss’ high national ranking and the general dearth of capable shortstops.
Other Local College draft eligibles w/ Local Ties
Some of these guys will get drafted, others may not. But they’re all draft eligible, having gone to 4-yr programs 3 years ago.
- Luke Gillingham a senior at Navy who was named Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 2nd team All-American. There’s some history of Navy grads making the majors, including Mitch Harris and Oliver Drake in 2015.
- Charlie Gould, a rising Sr at William & Mary. Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 3rd team All-American, pre-season all-CAA.
- Michael Morman, a 5th year senior/grad student at Richmond. Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 3rd team All-American.
- Daniel Pinero, UVA middle infielder who started 60 games and hit .300 as a sophomore.
- Alec Bettinger, UVA RHP via Hylton: 50ip and 4 mid-week starts as a sophomore, could take a bigger role with the graduation/drafting of so many UVA arms in 2015.
- Jack Roberts, UVA RHP via James River HS: struggled to a 6.08 ERA in 23 innings as a sophomore.
- Andy McGuire, RHP from Texas via Madison HS: converted to middle relief at Texas, had 12 IP in 13 appearances in 2015, but does not appear to be on the Texas roster in 2016. No idea where he is now.
- Thomas Rogers, LHP from VCU via Lake Braddock: Initially went to UNC, transferred to VCU in the fall of 2014 and sat out 2015 per NCAA transfer rules. Will be a draft eligible sophomore.
- Tyler Ramirez, OF from UNC via Suffolk VA (Cape Henry Collegiate). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Aaron McGarity, RHP from Virginia Tech (home town also Blacksburg). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015 and made the All-Star team; prospects looking up.
- Andre Scrubb, RHP from High Point U by way of Woodbridge VA (Hylton HS). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Luke Scherzer, RHP from Virginia Tech by way of Midlothian VA (Powhatan HS). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Nick Walker, OF from Old Dominion by way of Chesapeake VA (Kellahm HS). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Kit Sheetz, LHP Virginia Tech by way of Midlothian VA (James River HS). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015. Not sure he’s actually still at Va Tech; missing from 2016 roster.
- David Ellingson, RHP from Georgetown U. Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Andrew Yacyk, inf from Liberty U via Hagerstown. Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Andrew Knizner, C from NC State via Glen Allen, VA (Hanover HS). Playing in Cape Cod league summer 2015.
- Nick Cieri, C/IB from U Maryland, played in Cape Cod league and made the all star team.
- Logan Farrar OF/2B from VCU
- Parker Bean, RHP/OF from Liberty
- Zack Rice: OF from UNC via Suffolk HS in Norfolk: converted to pitching at UNC: had a 2.31 ERA in 20 appearances in 2015.
- Bryce Harman, jr 1B from ECU via Chesterfield, VA (Lloyd C. Bird HS). Huge power potential but 1B-only guy, still projects as top 5-10 rounds in 2016.
- Garrett Brooks, sr OF (CF) from ECU via Chesapeake VA (Western Branch). Could be a classic round 6-10 senior sign this coming spring as a capable player who struggled early but is coming on late.
- Luke Bolka, jr LHP from ECU via Mechanicsville, VA (Atlee HS). Drafted late out of HS, has big K/9 numbers in small sample sizes and could easily feature as a matchup lefty reliever.
- Mac Caples, jr OF from Virginia Tech by way of Midlothian VA (James River HS).
Sources used to kick off this post (which I started the day after the 2015 draft and update through out the 2015 spring awards season and the 2015 summer baseball showcase season):
- Collegiate Baseball News pre-season 2016 All-american teams.:
- 2015 USA Baseball College Team Roster
- Cape Cod 2015 Roster Analysis, looking for local guys
- BaseballDraftReport.com’s 2016 college preview
Please let me know if you feel there are draft-eligible players with local ties who I should be following. I don’t want to leave anyone out!