Here’s some useless trivia related to the Nats home openers, now that we have the Nats 10th home opener in the books.
Nats Trivia: capacity of Nats park?
- 41,888 at opening
- 41,546 in 2010
- 41,506 in 2011
- 41,487 in 2012
- 41,418 in 2013
- 41,506 for 2014
Interesting how the capacity has slightly decreased each year but jumped for this year. Do we know where they’re adding/removing seats? By the way, RFK capacity: 45,596 per wikipedia/ballparks.com.
Nats All-time Record attendance?
- 45,966 10/12/12 game 5 2012 NLDS
Other/Previous Attendance Records
- 45,274 Opening Day 2013 (new and current Regular Season record for Nats park)
- 45,017 10/10/12 first home playoff game
- 44,685 8/20/11 vs Phillies (longer standing Nats park record)
- 41,985 6/24/09 vs Boston. (Nats reg-season record standard bearer for a while in the new stadium)
- 45,157 Fathers day 2006 vs Yankees (long standing Regular season Record)
- 45,596 RFK franchise opener (long standing franchise attendance record)
Opening Day Attendances and weather through the years
- 2014: 42,834 (1:05 Friday game, 50s and overcast)
- 2013: 45,274 (1:05 Monday game, 60 and beautiful)
- 2012: 40,907 (1:05 Thursday game 56, partly cloudy)
- 2011: 39,055 (1:05 Thursday game, 41 degrees and overcast)
- 2010: 41,290 (1pm game Monday, beautiful weather 80s and sunny): this was the “Phillies invasion” game.
- 2009: 40,386 (3pm game on a Monday, chilly 53degr and overcast).
- 2008: 39,389 (season and stadium opener), 8pm Sunday night, nat’l tv, clear but very cold.
- 2007: 40,389 (in rfk, 1pm game vs Florida, 72degrees)
- 2006: 40,516 (in rfk, Tuesday day game vs Mets, 72degr and sunny)
- 2005: 45,596 (in rfk, debut of entire franchise, 62degr and clear, evening game)
Opening Day Box Scores and Results
Nats are 4-6 in their home openers now since moving to Washington, and they’re just 2-6 in non-stadium openers. Just one starter has thrown more than one home opener for the Nats: Livan Hernandez. When Livan gets elected to Cooperstown, I hope he’s wearing the curly W.
- 2014: mlb.com or b-r.com. Braves d Nats 2-1. WP: Luis Avilan. LP: Tyler Clippard. (Starters: Jordan Zimmermann and David Hale).
- 2013: mlb.com or b-r.com. Nats d Marlins 2-0. WP: Stephen Strasburg. LP: Ricky Nolasco
- 2012: mlb.com. Nats d Reds 3-2. WP: Craig Stammen. LP: Alfredo Simon (Starters: Gio Gonzalez and Mat Latos)
- 2011: mlb.com. Braves d Nats 2-0. WP: Derek Lowe. LP: Livan Hernandez
- 2010: mlb.com. Phillies d Nats 11-1. WP: Roy Halladay. LP: John Lannan
- 2009: mlb.com. Phillies d Nats 9-8. WP: Jamie Moyer. LP: Saul Rivera (Nats Starter: Daniel Cabrera)
- 2008: mlb.com. Nats d Braves 3-2. WP: Jon Rauch. LP: Peter Moylan (Starters: Tim Hudson and Odalis Perez)
- 2007: mlb.com. Marlins d Nats 9-2. WP: Dontrelle Willis. LP: John Patterson
- 2006: mlb.com. Mets d Nats 7-1. WP: Brian Bannister. LP: Ramon Ortiz
- 2005: mlb.com. Nats beat Arizona 5-3. WP: Livan Hernandez. LP: Javier Vazquez